Show Program > Traditional Rituals
Initiation and marriage ceremonies, deity worship of goddesses, spell-casting for fertility and healing are among the many scared traditional rituals of the Engan people.
Initiation and marriage ceremonies, deity worship of goddesses, spell-casting for fertility and healing are among the many scared traditional rituals of the Engan people. Many of the rituals are based on myths and legends about the people’s origin.
Rituals were also practice to reinforce traditional knowledge and values that guided Engan societies to instil moral standards, respect and various roles and responsibilities for men, women and children.
While many of these rituals are under-threat from the influences of the modern world, they are still being practiced across the province and remain in the lives of the people.
Displays and demonstrations of these ancient traditional rituals are staged over the entire 3 days of the Enga Cultural Show, giving show goers a unique glimpse into centuries past through this surviving and living history.
1. Gote Mauwa Yaowenge [ Religious Ritual offering to appease Sky deities]
2. Akali Malu Pepe Miningi [ Rituals for consulting the dead]
3. Wape Kana Tapenge [Hot stone handling Ritual]
4. Kopetali Mandyo Nepenge [Segregation ritual of lepers]
5. Onno Nuu Mandenge [Rituals for appeasing and placating ghosts]
6. Yalya Yuu [Ritual for food fertility and productivity]
7. Shangai Lenge Pingi [Cleansing Ritual for young men – Initiation]
8. Nemani Aete [Ritual for Nature, environment, food]
9. Enda Lakungi [Courtship Ritual with spells and chants]
10. Poteyalin Aete [Rituals for hunting, pig raising and nature]
11. Yainanda Yaowenge [Rituals for healing sick, death and exorcism]
12. Inginya Petenge [Chant and spell ritual of removing illness/death]